Dr. Jackson was a lifelong resident of East St. Louis, IL. He graduated from Lincoln Elementary and Junior high graduating as a senior in 1932. He attended undergraduate school at Fisk University, Nashville, Tenn. and received his Associates of Science Degree in Chemistry in 1936. He was accepted as a medical student at the Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tenn. and graduated as a Medical Doctor in 1940. He completed his residency requirement in four years as a resident surgeon at Homer G. Phillips Hospital, St. Louis, MO.
Dr. Jackson began his practice in medicine in April 1944 in East St. Louis, IL. Because of his intellect and high regard for mankind, he courageously served as a senior surgeon for Homer G. Phillips, St. Mary’s, Christian Welfare, and Centreville Township Hospitals. His professionalism and skill in his field quickly initiated him into teaching capacity training and developing student nurse, interns and residents in fractures and orthopedic specialties at St. Mary’s Infirmary and Homer G. Phillips Hospital.
His membership in the American Medical Association, Mounds City Medical Forum, Illinois State Medical Society, St. Clair County Medical Society, Homer G. Phillips Interns Alumni Association, National Medical Association, Nurse Scholarship Committee, The American College of Surgeons, The St. Clair County Tuberculosis Association, St. Clair County Cancer Association, and St. Clair County Mental Health Society assisted him in broadening his scope of knowledge and expertise in the medical field to improve the quality of life for all human beings.
Dr. Jackson formally served as an active member in the following social and civic organizations: Basileus of Upsilon Omega Chapter, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity of St. Louis, MO; Nu Chi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi, Inc. East St. Louis, IL; President of Phi Chapter of Chi Delta Mu Fraternity, Inc. (composed of outstanding physicians, dentists, and pharmacists of the Greater St. Louis Metropolitan area); Joppa Lodge # 79; Tyree Consistory #64; Shriner’s of Aahmes Temple #234; East St. Louis Anniversary Club; National Association of Colored People (NAACP); Board of Directors of the Boys Club of ESL; District Member of the Mississippi Valley Council of the Boy Scouts of America; ESL Chamber of Commerce; Illinois Commission on Children; ESL Planning Commission; ESL Chapter of the American Red Cross; Illinois Children’s Home and Aid Society; United Fund of ESL; Mayor Alvin G. Field’s Human Relations Committee; Charter member of the Southwestern Council for Higher Education for Southern Illinois University (SIU), located at Edwardsville, IL (member of the pilot committee that was successful in getting the St. Clair-Madison County branch of SIU); Second Vice President of the Board of Directors of Radio Station WESL, East St. Louis, IL.; one of two delegates from St. Clair County to President Eisenhower’s White House Conference on Youth in 1960 in Washington, D.C.; 18 years as a member of the Board of Education, School District #189 East St. Louis, IL (serving 3 years as President); and Chief of the Medical Staff at St. Mary’s Hospital.
Arthur M. Jackson, Jr.
3/29/1915 – 3/3/1975
Dr. Jackson was also instrumental in the development St. Mary’s Trauma Center Pilot Program which later became designated as one of the major Trauma Centers by the State of Illinois Department of Public Health. He was a prodigious leader and physician, committed and dedicated to the medical field and service of mankind.
Dr Arthur M. Jackson Jr. MD an unsung hero, patrician and honor for East St. Louis.
Copyright © 1937-2017 - East Side Health District - All Rights Reserved