Job Title: Custodian; General Laborer
Responsible to: Administrator and/or designee
Under limited supervision, is responsible for performing manual custodial and horticultural work to ensure the appearance of all ESHD properties are clean, safe and functional. Employees in this class perform cleaning tasks in all clinics and garden property. Primary responsibility is for the effective use of proper methods, use of chemicals and materials in maintaining the cleanliness, appearance and sanitation. Work is assigned and performed in accordance with established procedures or follows a well-defined routine. Work is subject to close inspection in progress or upon completion to insure performance of work in accordance with established standards or specific instructions.
- Cleans, sweeps, mops and scrub floors, stairways and hallways; dust and cleans furniture, equipment, fixtures, window sill, railing, chalk rails and blackboards; polishes furniture; gathers and removes waste paper from the building.
- Scrubs and disinfects toiles, wash bowls, urinals and washroom fixtures, and replenishes washroom supplies.
- Move and arrange furniture; replace light bulbs, clean fixtures, receive supplies and transport to the proper location.
- Removal of snow and ice from walkways and apply salt; cut and water grass; dispose of trash around clinics.
- Clean windows inside and outside of building using high step ladder and safety equipment as required by regulation.
- Operate and maintain equipment such as scrubbing machine, wet/dry vacuum. Lawn mower, snow blower, tillers, weed eater, yard vacuum, etc.
- Must be able to withstand extreme temperatures. Must be physically able to wear dust mask/respirator and face protection due to potentially hazardous environments.
- Maintain, service and repair equipment, machinery, plumbing, controls, physical structures, hardware and fixtures.
- Dismantle machines or equipment to gain access to defective parts and repair them. Replace belts on machines, etc.
- Clean and lubricate shafts, bearing, gears, pulleys, and other parts of machines, using cleaning equipment, brushes, grease gun, etc.
- Measure, cut and install wood, pipe and tubing as needed in the garden facility.
- Check and clean grounds, plant; fertilize; cut grass, trim edges, trees and bushes; weed and maintain plants and grounds.
- Maintain and clean lawn and garden equipment.
- Repair and replace various plumbing fixtures and equipment, open clogged drains using plunger, augers and plumber’s tools.
- Make and repair counters, furnishings, benches, partitions, woodwork, garden beds and other structures using saws braces, bits and other carpenter tools.
- Install, repair and replace brick work and plaster walls using trowel.
- Paint and assist painters with preparation and clean up.
- Purchase supplies, parts and materials and recommend materials and equipment to be purchased.
- Assist fire evacuation and disaster response plans.
- Work varying shifts, weekends and holidays; and serve on call duty as necessary.
- Fill in for vacations, sick leave or whenever necessary; assist and serve as back up to co-workers.
- Ability to read and understand safety issues related to the use of chemicals and Material Safety Data sheets (MSDS).
- Knowledge of floor care, proper usage of cleaning solution and safety equipment.
- Open and close buildings by ensuring all doors, windows and offices are locked.
- Monitor lighting and building climate.
- Receive, offload and deliver supplies to work areas.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Education, & Experience:
- 6 month to 1 year experience in custodial/housekeeping/horticulture or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Computer literacy at the user level required;
- Candidates must own a dependable truck
- Possess a valid driver’s license and auto insurance;
- Adhere to policies and procedures, confidentiality, and HIPPA;
- Will accept any other duties as assigned by ESHD;
- Drug Free Environment;
- Drug Screening Required.
- Ability to work well with the public.
- Demonstrated mechanical, electrical and repair abilities.
- Experience operating power and manual tools.
- Ability to follow work safety standards and practice.
- General mathematical skills
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Able to problem solve.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular attendance and punctuality are required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb stairs and/or ladders; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear and sit.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and frequently move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and/or distance, color, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Personal computer and email
- Motor vehicle
- 10 key calculator
- Portable radio
- Shovels, rakes, edger, spreaders, tillers, mowers, snow removal equipment, etc.
- Tape measure, screw drivers, hammer, saws, wrenches, drills, various hand and power tools
- Safety equipment, i.e., earplugs, gloves, masks, respirator, safety glasses/shields, eyewash, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in high, precarious places, in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold or heat and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally loud.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
* Please Note: Position is contingent upon continued grant funding
In conjunction with hiring for this position, the district shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or national origin.
Qualified candidates may mail, fax, or email cover letter and resume to:
East Side Health District
650 North 20th Street
East St. Louis, IL. 62205
Phone: 271-8722 ext. 102
Attention: Marretha McCoy, Executive Administrative Assistant
Posting: August 8, 2017 – August 21, 2017
Copyright © 1937-2022 - East Side Health District - All Rights Reserved