Position Title: Sanitarian
Responsible To: Environmental Health Program Manager/Assistant Administrator
Contact: Myla Blandford (618) 271-8722, Ext. 112 / email@example.com / 650 N. 20th Street, East St. Louis, Il. 62205
Summary Position Description:
Perform technical field inspections and conduct investigations within Environmental Health Programs for compliance with ESHD/ State of Illinois rules and regulations. Field inspections and investigations include food establishment inspections, on-site private sewage and water well inspections, nuisance investigations, vector investigations, tattoo and tanning parlor, and other inspections/investigations that may pose a threat to the public or environment. In addition, the Sanitarian position is responsible for providing environmental health education services within East Side Health District and assisting with the Emergency Preparedness & Response program.
- Conduct regulatory food establishment inspections including routine, complaint (food-borne and non- food-borne), follow-ups, emergencies (ie: fire), and temporary event inspections for compliance with ESHD ordinance and the State of Illinois rules and regulations.
- Perform inspections, investigations, and surveys within water well/onsite private sewage program for compliance with the State of Illinois rules and regulations.
- Perform inspections, investigations, and surveys within tanning/tattoo parlor program for compliance with the State of Illinois rules and regulations.
- Perform inspections, investigations, and surveillance within the vector program for compliance with the State of Illinois rules and regulations.
- Conduct activities associated with the Emergency Preparedness and Response Program, including participation in training and exercises.
- Provide technical information to and collaborates with partners in the dissemination of public/environmental health education.
- Provides general education and distribution of public/environmental health information including presentations and seminars to the public.
- Provides training and certification for the Food Service Sanitation Certified Manager class.
- Update and document written records for licensed facilities.
- Collects data and produces reports as required.
- Review plans and perform pre-opening/opening inspections of new and remodeled food service establishments.
- Adheres to East Side Health District Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain expertise and continuing education requirements by attending appropriate training and educational offerings.
- Additional duties may be assigned based on operational needs of the department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 30 semester hours of physical sciences.
- Must meet qualifications (as set forth by the State of Illinois) to take the Licensed Environmental Health Practitioners (LEHP) exam within 18 months of hire.
- Applicant must be registered (and maintain license) as an Environmental Health Practitioner in training upon meeting State of Illinois requirements.
- Must obtain LEHP certification by the State of Illinois within 36 months of hire. Applicant is responsible for registration and maintenance of license.
- Successful acquisition of the Illinois Department of Public Health Food Service Managers Certification within 2 months of hire (successful completion of approved course/exam prior to hire)
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with contractors, food establishment operators, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret and write technical reports.
- Able to organize and schedule own work with minimal supervision.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Current valid driver’s license, insurance and reliable motor vehicle.
- Ability to be flexible to meet changing work load demands, emergencies, and priorities.
- Adhere to East Side Health District dress code.
- Adhere to drug free work environment and submit to drug screening and background checks as requested.
- Punctuality in all activities including work attendance, meetings, deadlines, and reports.
- Treat others with courtesy and respect.
- Display professional attitude toward clients and co-workers.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- The ability to sit, flex, stand, reach, and bend.
- Office work to include typing, filing and working at computer for extended periods.
- Ability to work outside in extreme conditions.
- Walking and bending required.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Drive personal vehicle to and from inspections, meetings, investigations, etc.
- The ability to work necessary hours to meet the position requirements, including evenings and/or weekends as assigned
- Desktop computer, laptop computer, projector, temperature measuring instruments, two-way radio, telephone, and personal vehicle.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing the duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Posting Effective Beginning: 08/24/2017 Ending: Open
*Position is contingent on funding
Copyright © 1937-2023 - East Side Health District - All Rights Reserved