West Nile Virus
June 18, 2018
Mosquitoes in both East Side Health District and St. Clair County Health Department’s jurisdiction(s) have tested positive for the West Nile Virus in recent weeks. East Side Health District serves the residents of East St. Louis, Centreville, Canteen and Stites Townships. Please take steps to continue to protect yourself from mosquito bites.
The best way to prevent West Nile disease or any other mosquito-borne illnesses is to reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home and to take personal precautions to avoid mosquito bites. Precautions include practicing the three “R’s”-reduce, repel, and report.
- REDUCE exposure-avoid being outdoors when mosquitoes are most active, especially between dusk and dawn.
- Make sure doors and windows have tight-fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or other openings. Try to keep doors and windows shut, especially at night.
- Eliminate all sources of standing water where mosquitoes can breed, including water in bird baths, ponds, flowerpots, wading pools, old tires and any other receptacles.
- REPEL– When outdoors, wear shoes and socks, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Apply insect repellent that contains DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR 3535, according to label instructions. Consult a physician before using repellents on infants.
- REPORT– In communities with organized mosquito control programs, contact your municipal government to report areas of stagnant water in roadside ditches, flooded yards and similar locations that may produce mosquitoes.
Birds are included in the West Nile Virus surveillance program.
IF YOU FIND A DEAD BIRD, PLEASE CONTACT EAST SIDE HEALTH DISTRICT AT: (618) 271-8722, x538
REQUIREMENTS FOR DEAD BIRD COLLECTION:
- Bird must have died within 24hrs & not have any maggots
- Bird must be intact and not decomposed
- Bird must be located in East St. Louis, Centreville, Canteen or Stites Township.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
East Side Health District
Phone: (618) 271-8722, 538
Fax: (618) 875-5038
St. Clair County HD: (618) 233-7769
Copyright © 1937-2016 – East Side Health District – All Rights Reserved